Monday, March 27, 2006

Good Movies

I managed to check out two very good movies over the weekend. I enjoyed them very much eventhough the reviews were just mediocre. This weekend was the start of Spring break so most of my buddies were either out of town or going to be. Dave and Em were venturing out to Portland, OR/Seattle; Matt went to gay mecca San Francisco(I regret it now but I was originally invited to go but declined); Joe's on NG duty and Steph is heading south to Austin, TX.

Nothing major happened, just took it easy. Went to watch Transamerica with Justin, Dave, Lim & Marshall on Friday night, night before Dave's trip. The next day, Dan from St Louis visited over the weekend and we went to watch V for Vendetta on Saturday night.


Nick's Reviews:

Caution possible spoilers

This movie was definitely funny, charming and entertaining considering that this movie was an independent/low budget film shot in a very constrained time line. I know some of you were turned off at the idea that Felicity Huffman (a woman) played the role of a male to female transexual but she did it very well with her talented acting/voice along with the magic of Hollywood make up and clothing. She definitely deserved the Oscar that she won for this movie.

I noticed that the make up was often one shade too light or dark and the mismatched/outdated clothing definitely gave her an awkward look that somehow made her look less feminine.

The makers/actors of this movie managed to portray the emotions of the characters very well and yet the movie felt very care free with its constant humor. Everyone should give this movie a chance despite the genre and check it out

I give this movie 8/10



I went into this movie with not much of an expectation. I've heard such mixed reviews that I didn't know what to think. But this movie captured my attention the entire time. I know this is quite a controversial movie with possible anti-Bush agenda but we must remember that this is based on a comic book that was written ions before this administration. It's just a mere case of life imitating art.

One of my favourite lines in this movie is "...people should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of their people..." how true, right? I also liked "...remember, remember, the 5th of November..." very catchy. This movie is from the same makers as the Matrix and interestingly just like the Matrix, this movie provokes its audience to think and question, very powerful in my opinion that a movie can achieve this feat.

The beginning of this movie confused me a little. There was a short clip of a person hung to death. Then right after that it moves on to the future. There were no explanations or follow ups. I later found out from Joe that the clip was of a man, Guy Fawkes, who tried to rebel by trying to blow up the parliment because the King/govt was opposed to Catholicism but he was caught before it happened. I guess the entire premise of this movie was based on that little clip. I feel that most of you will enjoy this movie more if you don't go in expecting tons of action and violence. The previews definitely did portray it as an action movie, in my opinion.

I give this movie 8.5/10

2 comments:

ebian said...

We watched "The Inside Man" on Saturday, interesting twist to the ending, it is worth to check it out.

Tze & Yeesin said...

Hey, watch "Heist" on NBC. We're hooked on it now. Its like an anti-cop drama with crooks...or a really really long ocean's eleven.