Monday, March 13, 2006

Weekend Madness

Before I begin with my usual posting, I just wanted to say that it has now become apparent that my boss is not very fond of me. It is 7pm and I am just walking out of my office. It has been a long 10 1/2 hr day. I've had a sneaking suspicion that he doesn't like me for a while (who the hell knows, could be because I'm the only asian engineer) but the latest sign of discrimination is when I was sick 3 weeks ago and I had to take 2 sick days and 1/2 vacation day and today in his office, he mentioned that I had to make up for these days "somehow"....WTF?!?! I am so defeated. There has been so many other stories in the past and I don't really want to get into it. So in order to please him, I told him I will wrap all my backlog by Wednesday which is almost impossible but I'll do it anyway...just like the fat balding fuck wants me to.

I have become very good at leaving my feelings of depression, imprisonment and hatred at work the very moment I step out. I have hated my work the last 3 out of 4 years I have worked here (for those of you who don't know me, you might be thinking "well just leave!" but I can't due to my immigration status). It takes a whole lot of mental control to handle this crap. That's the reason I am so happy when the weekend comes. Not just the standard happy but I actually give out a sigh of relieve when I leave and get into my car on Friday evenings. I get so happy to not have to see the faces that I've come to despise for another 2 days. I just can't wait for the day when I can finally tell them to go fuck themselves! Oh well, moving on...



Super fun Saturday (St. Patrick's 5K)

H2, Sue, Me and Joe before the race

So anyway, here's my story for Saturday. It was fun and very productive. I woke up early, around 7am and headed towards the court house. That was where the St Patrick's Day 5K started, there was so much energy (hundreds of ppl participated). Anyway met up with Joe, H2, Mas & Sue and we all ran the 5K except for Mas who was there for support :) The 5K was challenging, maybe because I haven't worked out in a while but thankfully I finished at a better time (around 26 mins) than the Cranberry Crawl 5K (28 mins) that took place last November. Here are the results.

After the race, we all went to have brunch at the the very yummilicious Cucina Solera. The weather was just perfect on Saturday around 70's (and winter's not even over yet!). Went home to take a shower and a short nap and sometime around 1 went downtown again just to walk around because the weather was so awesome. There were ppl everywhere walking around, eating icecream and just having a good time. H2, Joe and myself gobbled down a frozen concrete from Shake's (I know, defeats the purpose of running a 5K) and shortly after got caught in a hailing storm. Later that evening, went to Chili's with Dave and Em and then to Justin's for a little impromtu cocktail party. It was fun and later to Soco where the music was freakishly good. We danced all night long and headed to IHOP afterwards. By this point, I was so tired I could hardly feel my legs ;) There was some drama in IHOP, too long for this post. I finally went to bed at 4am, where I've been up for 22 hours! Craziness...



Scary Sunday Storms

All the white specks are golf ball sized hail! Remember this day was in the 70's

After a super crazy hectic Saturday, I had no more energy, totally spent. So I just took most of the day relaxing but little did I know a storm was approaching. I woke up around 11am, went to Gerbes for a little grocery shopping with Steph and came home and relaxed. Weather was still nice at around 70s. Soon after I got home from groceries, the clouds started to turn black. I was just sitting around watching "Tim Burton's: The Corpes Bride" when I heard the sirens go off. It freaked me out, so I turned on regular TV to see a Tornado Warning (for those not familiar, a tornado watch is when conditions are right and tornado warning is when there is an actual touch down sighted) and live coverage of the storm! Shortly after that, the storm came...it was probably one of the strongest I've experienced in the last 9 years living in the Mid-west. There were reports of hail sizing from pebble to even soft ball size! My area got hit pretty hard with golf ball sized hail, thankfully my car was in the garage so it survived some major damage. Other neighbours were not so lucky.



So immediate I went into my interior bathroom praying that nothing major is going to happen to my 1st time purchased real estate. Peeking out the window, the golf ball sized hail looked like they were little bombs coming down hard, punching a small crater in the ground each time one hits and there were hundreds if not thousands coming down. The water on the ground would splash each time a hail would hit, my entire backyard looked like a war zone. I could hear the hail hitting my front windows and at one point they were so rampant and were hitting with so much force that I actually thought my windows were going to be busted open. The entire ordeal lasted 15-20 mins if not less and then just as sudden as it approached, everything cleared. I stepped outside just like everybody else to inspect what had happened. The day was still warm but I could feel a strange coolness from all the hail/ice laying on the ground evaporating, creating a foggy environment. I noticed my first casualty: a wind chime I bought while living in Dallas, TX which I've owned for almost 5 years. I have yet to inspect my siding and grill/patio furniture in the back yard. I hope that they are all still in 1 piece.

Little did I know this was the first of many storms to pass through Missouri. According to AP News "more than 100 twisters touched down in a weekend wave that stretched across five states, from Oklahoma to Illinois. Nine of the ten dead were in Missouri." Later in the evening around 8pm, another storm passed through and several others through the night. Thankfully they missed Columbia. I heard that one county in west Missouri got pounded with 3 major storms. I later saw on the news that Missouri was the hardest hit state with the most damages and people killed. There were also homes that were not too far from my area that were quite badly damaged with holes in their siding and damaged roofs. Check it out on the Columbia Daily Tribune and Yahoo News. I'm glad that no tornadoes touched down in my area and nothing major around my house got damaged. It is times like this when I appreciate Malaysia's relative "safeness" from natural disasters. I guess this is just the introduction to Tornado season that is yet to come...

And so this wraps up another weekend....

Next weekend, I'm off to St Louis for a career fair, wish me luck!

2 comments:

Tze & Yeesin said...

Hang in there just a little longer for that job man!!! Luckily you DO have the weekend to de-stress, plus you've got us behind you... We got the same storm that hit columbia. Luckily too it missed Olathe by 10+ miles...

Anonymous said...

man.. we Californians are SHOCKED by the size of the hail ice!!!!!! wow.... we had hail the other day, but they were TINY. nothing impressive.