Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Bruxism a.k.a. teeth grinding

So apart from getting a souvenir $350-summon from my vacation in the North West, I also discovered that I have a pretty severe case of Bruxism. I've always known about my teeth grinding problem but never thought much about it simply because the dentists (notice the plural) have all said that it wasn't a big deal and it wasn't wearing my teeth down too bad. But apparently the noise it makes is loud enough for Justin and Dave to tell me about it during our week of room/bed sharing. Dave was in a crabby mood one morning and decided to bitch, bitch, bitch. So I've decided to do something about it.

I did some research and decided to purchase a product by Splintek which is based out of Kansas City. I've owned a guard before and the darn thing was big and bulky and would never stay in my mouth (that's the first time something big would not stay in my mouth, I promise;). I'd wake up the next morning only to find myself going on a "treasure hunt" to locate the damn thing. I've read some pretty good reviews and since this is quite small and low profile, I'm hoping it'll work. My other alternative would be to have a dentist mold a custom fitted one for my mouth but that would cost me hundreds of dollars. So I'm hoping this will work. I just did a quick search on Yahoo and went directly to the website and was about to order one for $78 including S&H when I noticed other results popping up for the same product but through 3rd party vendors. I finally settled on purchasing it from drugstore.com and it ended up costing me $39 with no tax and free S&H. It's weird how there is such a huge difference in price between the original manufacturer and a 3rd party vendor. Something must not be right somewhere.

Anyway I'll keep my fingers crossed and hopefully I didn't get scammed by drugstore.com or Splintek for either not sending me the product or receiving something that doesn't work. I certainly hope this will stop the noise, but then again there really isn't anyone to tell me if I'm still making the noise!

*******************************


Small Talk : Today is Mom's birthday. She would have been 60 years young (as she'd put it) if she had not passed away back in 2001 from Chronic Myleoid Leukemia. I miss her greatly, still! I woke up this morning and said a little prayer for her. I still find myself talking to her occasionally. I wish she was around to see how well she's raised her children and to see her grandchildren but I'm sure she's looking over my shoulder making sure I'm alright. I hope she's proud of what I've decided to do with my life choices. Happy Birhtday, Mummy!! I love you...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First of all... the fact that you are posting a blog about your teeth... Little Nicky... what are we going to do w/ you?

Second... WTF? I NEVER bitch about ANYTHING! I am a delightful person all the time. Mmmmkay?

Thanksssss