Friday, June 30, 2006

Here little birdie...

So for a few weeks now I've suspected something living in my exhaust vent pipes near the outside of the house. Matt (who is living with me temporarily) said that he hears noises in the ceiling. So yesterday, I got out of work early with no plans, I decided to investigate my little problem. The damn exhaust vent that blows air out of the downstairs bathroom is situation approx 7 ft from the ground at the back of the house and with no ladder, I had to stack 2 chairs to get to the vent (kids please don't try this at home). I know it's dangerous and I'm going to buy a ladder now!

I open up all the casing and to my surprise there were 2 birds staring at me. I guess they are almost grown now but they were probably hatched in there. So I get back into my house, call Animal Control and the beyotch was giving me shit for "disturbing" the nest. Finally he said he'll come remove the birds if I really wanted him to, I said "get yo ass here, NOW!". Apparently, there's no fee as our tax dollars pay for his services. The beyotch gets to my house, walks to the back and says "oh it's too high up and we're not allowed on ladders", proceeds to walk back to his truck and drives away! I was like wow thank so much, dumbass, I can see my tax dollars working double time here!!

I decide to take care of the problem myself. I put on my gardening gloves and shove my hand in the hole. The whole ordeal took about 1 1/2 hrs as I started out tugging on the feathers and that would just scare the bird and they'd go deeper into the hole. Finally I reached in there, nervous as hell, grabbed the bird in my palm and took it out. The first bird escaped as I was taking it out and flew right by my face. I almost fell off my damn double stacked chair. The bird got to the ground, looked at me and proceeded to fly away. Probably it's first flight, for it was still wobbly. The 2nd bird was a bigger challenge for it was deeper in the hole, and quite a feisty little thing too. As I was pulling it out, it starting chirping like MAD. Like it was having a seizure or something. I noticed the neighbourhood birds surrounding me, I was really freaked out. I was afraid he was sending some kinda distress signal asking all his "friends" to come attack me! I swear I saw that in a movie once. Anyway I yanked it out and it too flew away.

I cleaned out the vent as it was filled with hay, twigs, feathers and probably bird poop. It was all very gross. Finally I rigged up a little screen and glued it to the hole so nothing else can go into that damn vent pipe.

And that's it for my bird drama yesterday. I'm quite shaken by the whole experience =)


***********

Small talk:
We went out to Soco last night. I was originally not planning on it but Jerod had great persuasive powers. It was fun as usual.

3 comments:

ebian said...

uncle...poor thing u have to clean bird poop! Elaine is here, and we have loh mai kai for breakfast :p

Tze & Yeesin said...

Wah... you got off easy with the birds. Try having a rabid squirrel like we did in our attic soffit! You know the kind that growls like a dog, and grabs whatever stick you poke into its nest! Welcome to more joys of homeownership! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey I've got birds in the chimney. Can you get them out to?? Pretty please....!!!

-Ro